The Town of Belz
The Belz chassidic dynasty began in 1817 when Rebbe Sholom Rokeach was inducted as Rabbi of Belz, a small Ukrainian town near the Polish border. In time, the town would become a beacon of light to the surrounding provinces.
When the Russian army invaded Belz During WWI, the Third Rebbe of Belz, Reb Yissachar Dov, fled to Hungary with many of his chassidim. After the war they returned to Belz to re-establish his court. With the outbreak of WWII in 1939, the Fourth Rebbe of Belz also was forced to flee again and the town of Belz was completely destroyed by the Nazis.